Early Inhabitants - History of Towamensing Township

At the time William Penn received his last grant from the King of England, the area now in what it is known as Towamensing was home to the Lenni Lenapes (Delaware) Indians.   The land became part of Pennsylvania as a result of the infamous "Walking Purchase".

Forest Inn Park - 6340 Interchange Road
Forest Inn Park  - 6340 Interchange Rd.

The township population increased rapidly with the arrival of German immigrants in the mid 1700's.  These Germans often called "Pennsylvania Dutch" (from the German word "deutsch") were fleeing from oppression.   Attracted from Penn's liberal immigration policies, many of the German immigrants found rich farmland north of the Blue Mountain.